View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #20
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Re: Kamae vs Shizentai (hips underneath)

My responses here are based on how we train with Jason DeLucia Sensei.
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
...have stressed needing to have your hips under you to be able to be effective in grappling arts...
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
... is this an exception because kamae is not a fighting stance, but a training stance?
We always keep erect posture "as if you had a rod going straight down from the top of your head straight into the ground." Sacrum tucked, definitely, though I don't think about it. Kamae is definitely a fighting stance; you see it all the time in MMA and we use it all the time in Aikido. Seems to me that if you're moving instead of static, you need to be in kamae.

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
The aikido stance is not very effective is you get into a grapple situation... Ueshiba always said to take the person from their sphere of power...
We strive to stay upright (seiza) when grappling, and that's what Sensei Jason shows in his groundwork DVDs; and since BJJ guys expect you to work in guard, being more upright takes them out of their sphere of power. This clip shows what I mean about getting upright; and as a bonus, you'll see that Sensei is in shizentai as he's working the escape:

http://venus.secureguards.com/~aikid...op=show&pid=91

Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
...My first aikido sensei is an Aikikai man and I remember our stance is as though we are holding a katana/bokken and the mindset is as though we are weapon fighting. The emphasis is on timing of entering and distance to effect a technique
Quote:
Xu Wenfung wrote:
...My second aikido sensei is a Yoshinkan man and he is advocating his students (esp yudansha) to remain at neutral stance (shizentai)during randori/jiyu waza. I feel that he is more of a pugilist or jujutsu than a weapon man. His argument is that in kamae, we tend to lose the microseconds time initiative should the opponent comes from the other side...
We always stay wound up (kamae) since that will make our entry fast and powerful. One could argue that in shizentai you don't have an advantage in either direction since you have to shift your weight to move either way.