View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 12:39 PM   #38
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
Re: Standing Postures in Aikido?

The whole issue around up/down being a direction is something I have always focused on and preach. In the Yoshinkan, I believe the way in which we shihonage is a classic example of this and how if your posture and balance is incorrect, you will not be able to take uke down without resorting to power and/or unnecesarry alterations to the technique to make it work.

I found that with myself and see it in a lot of the beginners. They loose their balance when taking their partner down in shihonage, or they loose connection with them. When Parker Sensei does this last move, it is straight down with a thump. I still can't figure out how the heck it does this without moving the front foot. He shifts his weight then drops. Same experience I had with Chida Sensei.

As far as the UP motion, usually you see a break in balance when sh'te attempts to stand because their posture and center line is not good. Thus, they are not able to get up quickly and maintain their balance because their posture is not correct. This is where good seiza-ho practice comes in.

That's my nickles worth and at the rate the USD is dropping, it AIN'T worth much if anything at all.