Thread: Ranking
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2001, 03:26 PM   #5
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Smile RANKING

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbaker
I thought Harvy's rank was already registered with Hombu?
KAMI : According to Peter Goldsbury Sensei, Chairman of the IAF, it hasn't yet.And I saw the latest Hombu list of promotions(january 2001) and his name isn't listed there.

Quote:
Shihan status, as a *teaching rank* is also only awarded by Hombu dojo. You're not a Shihan (as a teaching rank) unless Hombu has issued it. So I must assume that Chiba Shihan was announcing a "done deal".
KAMI : Or he may be following Saotome Sensei's example, who indicated his student, Dennis Hooker as a Shihan in his own organization, I believe that in its ancient meaning of "Exemplar Teacher", instead of as a "teaching rank".

Quote:
As for the West Coast boys, all of their websites announce their Shihan awards, but nothing about a rank promotion. That's the reason I assumed they had not been given 7th dan.
KAMI : I was informed, by another member of this list and of USAF, that the promotion to 7th Dan ocurred. That's why I'm trying to confirm that.

Quote:
However, we Aikidoist are falling way behind the times. Several European Ninjas in the Bujinkan, under Grand Master Hatsumi have recently awarded several 13th dans!
Jim Baker
KAMI : Well, I know nothing about the Bujinkan and its ranking system, so I'd rather not say anything about that.
Best regards and a good keiko

Last edited by Kami : 06-24-2001 at 03:32 PM.

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara