View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #58
djalley
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Tenkan and Centrifugal Force

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote:
I am not a physics student or an engineer, so I'm not going to get too hung up on the semantics. Whether it's centrifugal or centripetal, etc. is not of primary interest to me.

Example: When I pivot (I'm Yoshinkan) and enter into Kote Gaeshi, I can feel some extra energy forming as my center of gravity nears uke's. I have been visualizing this energy concentrating and being released again as I bring uke around and I feel that this has improved my performance. To me, it now feels more like I am pulling uke back into the wrist return like a yo yo. It's a very subtle thing, but also it feels very powerful.

I'm interested in the physics involved, because if I can understand it and apply it more effectively, I think IT's the extra power (that appears to be present beyond the exertion of normal human strength).

IMHO, O-Sensei was equally as clever as Einstein and Hawking- He was able to perceive and utilize the forces of nature, but he explained it and applied it in a different way. If anything gave him 'his power', this was it.

My view is that all the major waza owe their effectiveness to their exploitation of the various natural forces. This seems to fit the definition of Ai Ki Do.
Hi all, I don't post on here much but what Bill said struck a chord and I hope I can explain my viewpoint on it. I'm an engineering technician by day, so have some Physics and Math knowledge.

I think the "thing we feel" in Aikido that we call ki or energy resides in the redirection of uke's force, and us putting a force on uke he cannot resist. For instance, you can put a thousand pounds of weight on a table and it will hold. That table is made to hold weight placed on it, yet it takes only 20 pounds of force or so to move it sideways. I believe what we do in aikido is similar. We don't hold the weight up (directly resist uke), but we move the table (redirect his energy). If someone is running in a straight line and you give them a major shove into their side as they go by, odds are they'll have to move sideways. Similarly, if they run at you and you give them the same shove, odds are you'll be trampled.

Yes, these are grossly oversimplified examples, but for this instance they illustrate the point I'm hoping to make. I think we are inherently aware of how much force it takes to move things, whether it be knocking uke to the ground, punching, etc., and aikido teaches us to redirect uke's momentum and apply force perpendicularly to his "force vector". Because he has no force to resist along this vector, it takes just a little of shite's force to control a lot of uke's force. I think the mysticism comes from the realization you're doing a LOT of perceived work with just a little effort.

Thank you for reading, I hope I made a valuable contribution for someone.

Don