View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #29
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: Tenkan and Centrifugal Force

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
No, I'm not going to let you off so easily, Ron, since you deliberately inserted yourself.

Bill said:
Tenkan exploits the power of centrifugal force, for instance.

I then said:
Besides, even if there were a centrifugal force (which there's not), I don't think that's the idea behind tenkan; tenkan still uses the opponent's force.

You then contributed:
Not all tenkan is done just to match uke's body direction. There are numerous techniques that use tenkan as part of the take down or projection of uke during the application of the technique. The tight circular motion executed by nage forces part of uke's body to assume a path with a greater radius; the part of uke's body being held by nage will travel a path more in line with nage's vector.

Tenkan is a turn. It is an entry into an attack. "Relative motions" ain't going to cut it, Ron. Nor is your idea of not matching... that is what "ai ki" means. Nor is your "tight circular motion executed by nage forces uke's body..." stuff. You've just blown the basics of Aikido. You don't get off with the attemped escape of "Tenkan is not an application of force it is a contributing factor in the generation of force." You got some 'splainin' to do, Lucy.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Tenkan is not only an entry into an attack. It is any turning motion executed during the application of a technique. I never came up with an idea of not matching, I stated that it is not just executed to match uke's body direction.

Since you don't actually study Aikido, have from what I can see have no rank in Aikido and don't really know anything about the basics of Aikido perhaps you should put 20 or so years in on the mat before you set yourself up as an authority on the subject.