Thread: Equitable?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #265
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
Point 2... Its not true? says who? you? Personal assertion?
Nope. I can support it with source books by Ueshiba K., Gozo Shioda, and others. I.e., your assertion was limited and did not mention something as basic as tenkan, which is mentioned as an equally key component in available source material by accepted experts in the field.
Quote:
This is what I've been taught by Pierre Chassang..longest practicing aikidoka in Europe to the tune of 50 years.
Just as an aside, do you connote real expertise with "time spent practicing"? I happen to know great numbers of people who have "many years of practice" yet who couldn't find their bum with both hands when their pants are down and the lights are on. No implication of disrespect to your teacher, of course.
Quote:
But your posts seem to criticise aikido and dismiss it as ineffective.
I didn't criticise and dismiss Aikido... I criticised and dismissed the too-prevalent western practice that is called Aikido. It's generally useless on many levels, except for role playing, social agendae, cooperative exercise, etc. Would you be willing to hazard a guess about what percentage of western Aikido is martially effective?
Quote:
My bottom line is still unconcerned with those that are casually dismissive of Aikido due to their ignorance of it.
I think you're confusing my comments, as I noted above.

Regards,

Mike Sigman