View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM   #13
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Another Video Prison Attack.

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
You know, I never understand this argument of "lack of training"--particularly from martial artists.

Law enforcement officers have enough physical training--it's up to them to go home and practice it with their cronies.

As far as the attack goes, COME ON!! His hands were up, that means he could see it coming. His hands were up, he could of just deflected the strikes.
No, no.
No, no, no.

Police officers are required to train X amount of hours in self-defense tactics.
Security guards are required to train Z amount of hours.

The argument that there is a "lack of training" means that X hours and Z hours are NOT ENOUGH! You think it is up to them to go home and practice? You think accountants go home at night and sit there on a 10 key calculator and "practice?" You think secretaries go home at night and type just to "practice?" The answer is No and No. SOME will practice... the majority will not. And when it comes to DEFENDING your SELF... and not only your job depends on it, but your LIFE, don't you think they SHOULD be required to go home and practice?

I do.

You say his hands were up and he should have deflected the attack. Guess what, he couldn't because he didn't know HOW to or that he even should be.

All of this = Lack of Training.

It really is that simple.

I tell ya, if I were a cop and had say... 200 hours of self defense training... 20 hours a week for 10 weeks.. I'd sure feel like someone that was going to get his butt handed to him down the road. I really would. And I think that 200 hour number is being generous...

And if there is a police officer out there, I'd really like to hear what they have to say on this: how many hours did you train at the acadamy? What are your thoughts on this subject?