Thread: Mute Sempai
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2000, 12:13 PM   #8
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Mutant Conversation

Keith,

X-men was great.

I'm not saying verbal communication should be avoided at all costs. I do believe that new students gain less from talking than they think they will when they ask a question. I don't like to answer, "What am I doing wrong?" If the answer is two or three things, I'll usually straighten out someone's feet. (If I'm having trouble with something I check out sensei's feet first.) All to often, if I answer kohai that aren't ready with a direct suggestion of a simple movement change, they don't truly listen if the answer is given to easily. They hear and then their body does the exact same thing again. When I make them wait, force them to try agian without direction or skip being nage and go back to being uke, they usually learn faster. Also, they usually keep asking for help and questions, but they are typically more self-aware questions about their hands, feet or waist.

When I ask someone to show me how to do something that I know I'm doing wrong, I tell them where and when it feels weird, why I think I developed the habit I have, and what it is I think I see in how they do it that I want to learn. Not that sensei doesn't often correct me on things that I didn't even notice.

I'm open to change when it looks better. What are other's logic when asking or answering questions?

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye