View Single Post
Old 03-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
mj
Re: Article - PCS Conditioning in Budo

Well, preaching to the converted where I am concerned Larry
Quote:
Kenji Tomiki, Ueshiba's first 8th dan was once asked about his exploration of shiai within Shodokan Aikido. He referred to it as "Putting the eyes back in the dragon" I believe one aspect of training he was talking about was PCS. One must try to envision that properly taught, competition does not necessarily result in a winner and a loser. Both participants can be winners. Freestyle practice against a totally uncooperative partner, especially one rewarded for executing successful, full-speed attacks is not necessarily a unique phenomenon in a traditionally based art like aikido. Successfully executing technique against an uncooperative attacker moving at full speed requires the highest levels of technical ability and keen mental awareness. Admittedly, such encounters frequently lack the aesthetic technical elegance most aikidoka are familiar with, but in my eyes witnessing perfectly timed and executed waza at full speed between uncooperative partners is a far more beautiful manifestation of aikido than overly cooperative randori. It is budo in spirit and experience, a demonstration of spontaneous defensive tactics in dynamic physical and mental action.
2 things here...firstly having to adapt waza (or principles) to real life or chaotic situations. (Perhaps a different discussion there)

Secondly, the underlying message of the article, stress.

From my time in Judo Shodokan etc it becomes apparent over a long period of time that new people go through phases of stress (if they can cope with the long term nature of martial arts...say a minimum of 18 months).

When they can stand up and not drop to the ground (as a defensive or counter measure) they are coping with these stresses and looking for better ways to deal with a situation.

That would be where the proper learning starts, imo.

My comments are made only in relation to a small part of the article though, it's not a be all and end all statement.

When I taught Judo I would put people under great stress (line ups usually) and keep 'encouraging' them to stand up and stop grovelling, to develop this ability