View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #124
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States
Re: SD Question - Pizza Parlor Attack

What happens when that 300 plb "gorilla" takes your Sig and uses it against you? What happens if an innocent bystander gets hurt or killed from your weapon? What happens if one of his buddies has a gun and shoots your @ss because you threatened his friend? Wouldn't he be defending his disadvantaged friend at that point? Guns (or any weapon for that matter) are not a cure all to self defense, in fact, I would say most times they escalate situations. Don't forget to mention that many women (not sure about stats on men) who have tried to use guns in self-defense have actually had their own weapons turned against them. Try and pull out that weapon fast enough if someone is trying to deck you.

I'm a great shot with pretty much anything with a trigger, but other than hunting and target practice it is pretty much useless seeing as I'm not soldier, cop, hitman, merc, etc. Seeing how packed together people were in that situation, pulling out a gun may be a bad decision. Guns/weapons bring out a lot of negative/nervous energy in people...I've had personal experiences with this, haha.

The whole point of modern martial arts is to train hard so that we don't have to seriously injure or kill the attacker. If you think other wise, IMO, you are a little misinformed. This is "overkill syndrome." If some guy takes a swing at me do I have a right to break his arm? Prolly not. The goal is not to hurt them more that what is necessary. If some guy slashes at me with a knife and I have some luck and parry his attack and do a palm strike to his elbow; that would prolly be more appropriate force. This is entirely situational.

Seeing as I'm NOT superbly skilled in the martial arts I probably would have hit his sternum with a palm strike (just enough to stun him) and then done a half kick to his knee. Just like anyone, big guys joints and pressure points are still mighty vulnerable. Having grappled and sparred with people much bigger than me, I can say being smaller I had certain advantages too. Use atemi and hit vital points, and giants will come down. Ultimately, defense when suprised is a lot harder than offense on the street; whether you have a gun, knife, or your bare hands. This is due to the suprise nature of most attacks. But, attacking wthout the element of suprise is equally as difficult. Yeah, so I would have to hurt the guy pretty bad to defend myself, but that is a lot better than pulling out something that could spell death for anyone in the room.

Last edited by MitchMZ : 03-09-2005 at 08:55 PM.