View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #121
sanskara

United_States
Re: SD Question - Pizza Parlor Attack

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Thanks for answering anyway.
Because I'm informed largely by...impression. It seems whenever someone who isn't a policeman uses deadly force, they're punished for it. But perhaps that's just because newspapers report man-bites-dog...
Cheers.
Well, I can't speak for you, but I'm informed by the actual laws of my state, rather than media impression. FYI: the laws regarding police use of force are generally more restrictive than those applying to private citizens. Give me a permit to carry, coupled with the innate right to make a citizen's arrest, and I'm in a better position legally than many cops.

More importantly, if you are uncomfortable using deadly force in defense of yourself or someone else's life you a) have no chance against someone 300lbs. and over 6 feet tall, and b) no business being a martial arts instructor.

Now that last bit may sound harsh, but this isn't tittly winks, people. If martial arts are to be anything more than hobby designed to make you feel tough in front of your friends, you must be willing to severely injure or kill. Period.

The deal with a firearm for self-defense is that rarely do you ever have to shoot anyone. According to department of justice stats, 99% of all successful defenses with a firearm the gun is never fired. The presence alone of such a weapon and a willingness to use it is enough to make a criminal cease their activities and flee, or acquiesse to capture.

The psychology of the pathological gorilla in this video (as pointed out by various other posters) is that he saw weakness and sprung into action. Do you honestly think he's going to see weakness if someone like me, who has no problem killing under those circumstances, draws a Sig 229 on him? If he does and advances, and I shoot, that's an open and shut case, legally speaking.

But if he does capitulate and I never had to fire a shot or get within five feet of him, for that matter, than what I've demonstrated is more "Aiki" than any physically applied martial technique.

You might want to think about that the next time you're agonizing in your dojo over the most "effective" way to apply iriminage.

Regards,
James Bostwick