View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #28
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Without this, No Aikido

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
I have several students who are doing Sytema as well as Aikido. What I have found is that my technique works just fine inthe sense that when they attack me I can defend myself and control their centers. But I can't use them as ukes when I am teaching Basics because the complete lack of resistance in their ukemi makes it difficult if not impossible to produce a particular technique "at will". In other words, to produce specific Aikido techniques I need Aikido ukemi which is the tension you are talking about.
Just to toss in my 2 cents, I think part of the problem may be that the concept of "Aikido Techniques" has become too narrowly focused toward leading and blending. Although I've never been closer to Yoshinkan than a few books, I think Gozo Shioda's concept of "Aikido Techniques" is/was broader than is commonly seen now. The ability to close and apply immediate great power is what you do when you don't immediately feel a controllable center, IMO. A truly balanced martial art, in the classical sense, can apply both "soft" (throws and controls) and "hard" (strikes and shaking power) at will.

FWIW

Mike Sigman