View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Ki Usage and O-Sensei: A Question

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I agree, although I note for the record that a real nitpicker would take both of us to task since technically ALL motion is mind-body coordination.
Well, everybody has some amount of mind-body coordination. But just as almost everyone can pitch a baseball, there is a difference between the sandlot player and a starting pitcher in the World Series.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
No you don't. You can only be selectively relaxed. Complete relaxation would cause you to crumple to the ground. Correct relaxation is needed, BUT if you aren't told what to do other than just "relax", you won't learn these things either. It takes a certain amount of instruction. Given the poor successes of the average westerner in the Ki Society, I'd suggest that a bit more instruction along with the relaxation would be helpful.
The phrase Relax Completely is one of the four basic principles for the Ki Society. I'm using it in that specific definition. Relax completely does not mean lying on the couch with the remote in one hand and bowl of chips on your belly, while you're yelling, "Honey, get me a beer!". This is an active form of relaxation.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Well, there are other, more direct ways, Ted. Out of all the people I know with these kinds of skills, few of them do it the way the Ki Society espouses.
Tessu used to have his student go through continual kendo matches. This practice could last for days. Finally the student couldn't fight or stand, yet would find the correct "place" to fight his last match. That was when Tessu would stop the match, knowing his student had learned.

At the start of intense misogi sessions, they would take your wallet and shoes, so you didn't leave during the practice. If this seems ridiculous, it was even more humorous when people would leave anyway, without wallet and shoes.

Yes, there are different ways to learn.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Hmmmm. Somehow I feel like you're tying Tohei's Ki practices, which he didn't learn from O-Sensei, to what O-Sensei taught. Yet O-Sensei didn't teach any of the Uchi-deshi his training methods, as far as I've been able to find out. Can you elucidate?
What Morihei Ueshiba practiced wasn't a "secret". Spiritual exercises are there for those with an interest in them. His approach though, was his own.

Michio Kushi is associated with macrobiotics. While there are Aikido teachers who practice macrobiotics, K. Tohei is not one of them. While many of the exercises are from Shinto, there is a healthy mix of Chinese and Indian practices and theory. He also throws in his own theories on ki, the universe and 42.

I am not trying to mix my metaphors. Michio Kushi is not associated with either aikido or the Ki Society. I think you'll appreciate The Book of Do-In, since you like the complexities of theory more than myself.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You