View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 05:24 AM   #8
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Ki Usage and O-Sensei: A Question

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Any input would be appreciated. O-Sensei demonstrated "Ki" with people pushing on his stance, on his head, on his jo, etc. I've always assumed that what he learned about "ki", etc., was what he learned from Takeda Sokaku, but I recently heard a theory that O-Sensei may have learned his techniques from Takeda, but learned the "ki" usages from other sources; once he combined the two, he felt he had the compleat martial art, harmony, etc. Has anyone else heard this type of theory or do they have substance, rumour, anecdote, etc., to indicate yay or nay either way? Thanks.

Mike Sigman
You can't do any of those demonstrations unless you have mind and body coordination. You achieve that by learning how to relax completely. One way you can learn that is through intense training over a long period of time. Your mind and body becomes so tired that your subconscious takes over your actions. Soon, everything you do is done in the most efficient manner. The outward sign of that psychological/physical state is a change in breathing. Once you capture that feeling, you can continue to develop it.

Another factor that most people don't realize about the founder's training is the breath exercises that are inherent in Japanese spiritual exercises. The founder was experienced in chanting and the kotodama. This all requires an expert usage of the breath. If you look at a collection of Japanese and eastern spiritual exercises, like The Book of Do-In by Michio Kushi, you'll see what I'm writing about.

This ability to relax completely was the difference between the arts of Takeda Sokaku and Morihei Ueshiba.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You