View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Without this, No Aikido

Quote:
Rob Cunningham about what is Aikido wrote:
I've asked dozens instructors this question and gotten dozens of very different answers. Each answer gave me another facet of this wonderfully complex concept. My favorite answer is from my sensei, Dennis Tatoian, who looked at me and made a kokyu motion with his hand and wrist.
Out of curiosity, why is that your favorite and how is it an answer, other than as an existential non-sequitur reminiscent of Zen "enlightenment" anecdotes?
Quote:
So my conclusion is this: Aikido, like any other concept, is what you want it to be. It is what you believe in. I believe that the concept of striking to gain control is against my concept of Aikido. The founder, however, made excellent use of Atemi and many instructors today claim that it is an integral part of awase technique.
This is really an interesting thought. Morihei Ueshiba founded a martial style cum philosophy and called it Aikido. It contained certain elements. You practice something different. Why do you use the name of his style instead of making up another name?

Regards,

Mike Sigman