View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #74
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: SD Question - Pizza Parlor Attack

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
...These views come from the pits of human culture - where culture fails most. It's like that - always. Give me a world religion that speaks about the commonality of Man and that was NOT born in the ghetto and you'll win a prize!
Buddhism. Siddhartha Guatama (spelling?) was a prince. Buddhism was born from an outsider looking into the ghetto.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
While these things seem to you to be foreign to reality, I must say that your own view smells to me of the "outsider looking in" or of "middle and/or upper middle class," etc. This is how our views look to each other - because I'm thinking we are coming from different backgrounds.
Only if you're from the middle/upper class. I was raised just outside of Detroit, MI and spent most of my teenage years in the city with a gang.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
...the guy that whacked him never for a minute pondered over issues of "deserving" and/or of being the great deliverer of some sort of moral street code...
Now you're catching what I'm saying...He didn't consider codes or morality or some other crap. Just like a rattlesnake--or an average person-- he did what was natural.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
...In other words,if you are coming up in your experience with some notions of surety and purpose, such as "what is deserved," and that works to explain the true randomness of such violence to you,
I don't think I'm saying anything about purpose. I say there's a correlation between running your mouth and then getting slapped for it in certain situations.

Sounds to me that you were the one talking about "higher" purpose.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Where I grew up, that kind of violence (like that) was always random, ...
I just don't believe that you can call an act of violence that's preceded by the "victim" running his mouth "random."

A criminal walking up and car-jacking a person for no apparent reason, that's random. Driving through the ghetto in a BMW and sitting at stop signs to smoke a cigarrette, that's asking for it.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
...you should accept that attacks on you by other posters as something you "deserved" - but that would be silly), your view is too much "Jets vs. Sharks" for me to consider it as the "real" reason why that all went down the way it did (or should).
For the sake of ending this conversation, I'd prefer saying "it was asked for."

As far as the "real" reason you speak of, I think you're saying,"the only reason." I'm not saying that the only reason that this happened is that the "victim" ran his mouth. Sure the attacker could of just lost his job. He could of been very hungry and highly irritable. He could of been raised in a bad home. You get the idea. I'm just saying, if the "victim" would of minded his own business, there's no apparent reason that this would of happened to him.