View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #72
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: SD Question - Pizza Parlor Attack

Some of us folks count all that stuff Mr. Ledyard said as "Aikido." It sounds like good weapons tactics to me, since nothing redirects a strike like dominating the centerline. I think Mr. Camejo is suggesting the same thing with the Shomen-ate.

On a related note, David Humm has a thread going on here on "muto," and Jun had translated some text on what that term meant for one tradition, etc. In that translation, the yin aspect of the sword's strike is stressed as the opening by which one is to determine the proper maai (and thus obtain the primary chance for tactical success). Mr. Humm, I believe, rightly relates this to the yin opening of Shomenuchi when training in Shomenuchi Ikkyo. From my perspective, what Mr. Ledyard has outline above fits in perfectly with this ancient tactic that is still to this day vital to the omote and yang aspects of Aiki.

If I may say, I liked Mr. Ledyard's idea of entering while covering - adopting a kind of "unsophisticated" sophistication in merging one's Angle of Attack with one's Angle of Deflection. Chiba Sensei, as well as my Kenpo instructor, Michael Robert Pick, was all very much of the same position. Art's like the "new" ones coming out of Israel also clearly adopt this tactic. Moreover, I have found it to be something present in nearly every art. You just have to look for it. The tactic has you bracing and covering in order to receive a blow and/to brace yourself for one reason or another. However, it all gets a hell of a lot more sophisticated because you vary the angles of your entry, the angles of your elbows, the timing of your tactics, etc., and though are you covering up for the worst, you are actually attacking or engaging at your best. For me, it is how you apply culture to nature -- how you add fire to raw meat and get a banquet.

Chiba Sensei at times used to demonstrate this to the degree that it almost looked like he was going to tackle his uke when doing Shomenuchi Ikkyo Omote while in Suwari Waza. This was done to make his point: You must be covered when entering. Though I do not have the same exaggeration, since I am only trying to utilize the principle and not emphasize it, you can see a simple example of this idea (engaging while covered) in the following video clip (though no strike is thrown simultaneously, as in Mr. Ledyard's tactic). The linked Aikido Perspective addresses the Yin and Yang of Shomenuchi and its relation to entering and turning in Ikkyo omote and Ikkyo ura while utilizing Aiki. It is extremely long -- but some might find it interesting. Here's the video link (you'll find the link for the article on that page as well).

http://www.senshincenter.com/pages/v...kkyovideo.html

Something else to note, the attacker had bad knees. It was evident when he walked in the door that he either had bad knees or that the adrenaline had already "built up" in his knees such that they were no longer flexible. Either way, he was forced to waddle from side to side -- because he's knees would not bend to accommodate his gait and/or his weight. That is one of those things you want to be aware of -- right when he entered the door (as someone else brought up the point of being aware of one's environment). With such knees, I'm am not so sure that this person would have been too hard to take off balance and/or even to take down, as we are all suggesting when we just look at his height and/or his weight, if one is ready for him. In addition, once this person fell down or teetered from a push, a strike, and/or an entry, the fallibility of his capacity for combat, and thus the applicability of countless tactics, would have been exposed. When you are that big and have bad knees, you have to forget about trying to regain your balance and/or, worse, getting up from the floor in any kind of way that can remain martially viable. You will be way too slow to recover and it will be all downhill from there. You can see a clear example of the attacker's poor knees and how they are determining his balance when his woman pulls him into an Angle of Disturbance with single wrist grab -- almost mid-punch -- on his T-shirt no less.

Last edited by senshincenter : 03-05-2005 at 12:20 PM.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.