View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #67
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: SD Question - Pizza Parlor Attack

Jean,

Sometimes you walk away and its then that you realize more clearly what you were trying to say...

Here's the test:

1. What if it was your woman that cut in line, what if it was some guy that remarked over your woman cutting in line, would you feel that that guy then deserved to be beat down by you (and actually doing it)?

If you say, "no," then I think you can sort of understand where I and others are coming from. If you say there are considerations that should apply to you (that shouldn't apply to the guy in the video), then I again think you can sort of understand where I and others are coming from. If you say, "Yes, that guy would deserve to get beat down by me in that same exact fashion," then according to your view you would be inflicting some moral street code that we are all supposed to be aware of and share. In my view, you would be out of touch with your own humanity, your own nature, and thus with reality. That would be where we would differ.

2. The same thing can be done with the woman in a short skirt with high heels. If upon seeing a woman dressed in that way, would you feel that she deserved to be rape by you (then raping her)?

If you say, "no," then I think you can sort of understand where I and others are coming from. If you say there are considerations that should apply to you (that shouldn't apply to a rapist), then I again think you can sort of understand where I and others are coming from. If you say, "Yes, that woman would deserve to get raped by me," then according to your view you would be inflicting some sort moral street code that we are all supposed to be aware of and share. In my view, you would be out of touch with your own humanity, your own nature, and thus with reality. That would be where we would differ.

If you are answering "no" to these scenarios, then I really think, as I suggested before, that you do not mean "deserve," but rather you meant to make some sort of commentary on what is "streetwise" and what is not.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.