Old 03-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #107
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
Okay, fair enough.

What about Minegishi sensei has captivated you? Do you think it would be possible for a male instructor to capticate you in the same way or in a different and/or stronger way? Just curious... - Rob
Her spirit. It lights up the room. And yes, I've met one male instructor who had the same kind of ...charisma... ("uitstraling", translation anyone?). I've also seen other instructors who are impressive in other ways...my teacher's teacher, Terry Ezra sensei, is very different.

It does have something to do with her being a woman, too, though. I hadn't thought that it would matter, but the first time Minegishi sensei gave a seminar here two years ago, I was surprised to find that I did feel encouraged just by seeing her do her stuff. It's funny, I train in a dojo with an almost 50/50 male/female ratio. I never felt that there was anything I couldn't do, provided I trained enough. Still, that seminar made me feel that aikido really was for me, too.

The experience was so strong for me because it wasn't something I thought I even needed.

All that said, if Minegishi sensei's aikido hadn't been ...convincing... it wouldn't have meant a great deal.

kvaak
Pauliina