Thread: Equitable?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #101
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Japanese racism - unfortunately it's not that uncommon. I've spent years training in both the US and Japan, and if there's any difference it's that training in the US tends to be more committed.
Heh. I wish I had the brass to forward your comment to him... he is the liberal's liberal and even wrote for one of the liberal radio shows. However, I dasn't. The word "racism" applied to him might make him apoplectic.

In a way, though, he wasn't comparing Japanese practice to US practice.... he was commenting on the attitude of Japanese instructors toward US students. I've been out of the big picture for a while, so my views may not be totally current, but I know a little of what he says has an element of truth to it. I've seen and heard some of the attitudes and some of the long-term Japanese certainly appear to have gotten tired of the preponderance of New Age among Aikido ranks.

However, I was just passing his thought along because I had just gotten off the phone and was intrigued that he would say that. I should have let sleeping dogs lie. My bad.

Mike