Thread: Equitable?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #98
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Lisa Rohde wrote:
This is my first post here, so I hope it will be helpful and not seen in the wrong light.
Just post and don't worry about what other people think... any opinions based on reason and experience are as good as anyone's here.
Quote:
I'm trying to add something which I think is missing thus far in the discussion, and that is why this subject does matter so much in a dojo. In fact, one could almost say, especially in a dojo. I can't speak for all women, but I think many people do not understand just how difficult it can be for a woman to practice aikido. Many of us are entering for the first time a situation where we have to physically relate to other people, and that is frightening. We are experiencing confrontation, and learning to deal with it in a mode of both insecurity and low confidence in our physical abilities. This is a difficult situation, but it can be dramatically improved by the presence of other women in the dojo. The point I wish to make, and hope you will try to understand, is how important it is for many women to see other women in aikido- those who have come through the same difficulties and become better people for it.
I see your point. You are talking about an aspect of Aikido, as you've experienced it, which is good for women and their self-esteem. The question is "should dojo's spend more time focused on things that are good for women's self-esteem or should they focus on the people who are devoted to learning pure Aikido", I think.
Quote:
If students wish to learn, I think it is the responsibility of everyone in the dojo to encourage them and extend their "aikido love." It is precisely because everyone needs encouragement that we need women to be visible in aikido.
"Aikido love"?!?!?!?!? My martial arts practiced will be encouraged if there are women visible? Me personally???

FWIW

Mike