Thread: Equitable?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #89
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Interesting thread. Compliments and appreciation to all.

So lets say we show up at the Dojo to train and there is disparity in numbers, anyway you want to slice it. Do we accept it, enter and blend with it, and train anyway? Or, do we refuse to train, boycott, and publicly criticize the Sensei in an attempt to get them to run their Dojo the way we think they should?

If it bothers us, what can we personally do about it?

If Aikido does not meet the wants or needs of a certain group of people, do we change the art, or accept that it doesn't meet their need and get back to our own training?

IMHO, while Aikido is available for everyone, it is not for everyone because they choose not to participate. That is their choice and I need to accept it.

I find that I learn something from everyone I train with because my technique must become flexible to adapt to their abilities. I trained with a great man down in San Diego, CA at an Ikeda Sensei seminar. He had the courage and heart to be on the mat despite metal in his legs that prevented him from taking falls. He said others would not work with him because he couldn't fall. His size and strength made him a great training partner to learn the subtle magic Ikeda Sensei does in taking balance. He will forever be a part of my Aikido.

IMHO, a lot of anxiety, depression and wasted energy is expended by resisting what is instead of entering and blending with it. The world is not going to be the way I want it to be. It doesn't call me up and ask for my directions or even input. I don't blame my technique on the uke's attack. I personally don't improve that way. Its by looking at my own part of the dance that I learn to redirect and change the dance. I don't change other people, but they might just change in response to what I do.

Sounds like we need to practice more.

He bow, puts the soapbox away (temporarily), and resumes training.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!