View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #77
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Equitable?

Quote:
Brion Toss wrote:
Hello,
In response to Mike Sigman's thoughtful response, I'll take your points in order.
First, I consider gross gender disparity non-extraneous, and I believe that addressing said disparity need not constitute pandering (def: "To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses.") Far from it, I believe that addressing it can be good for the art.
Well of course you're entitled to your beliefs. I can't remember the topic being addressed in any reputable Aikido books, though.
Quote:
Next, I began practicing when the earth was still cooling, and my own physical abilities were somewhat less limited than they are now. Nevertheless, I clearly remember my sensei making specific admonitions to us, as individuals as well as a group, to take each others' abilities into account.
When I started Aikido, we had to make our own water during the breaks by combining Hydrogen and Oxygen. And unless your teacher was O-Sensei, I'm not sure how the admonition you mentioned is particularly germane.
Quote:
What I DID say, and what you seem to imply agreement with in your last lines, is that Aikido is not just about technique. The only question remaining then, is what else is it about, and to what extent?
It's also about timing, Ki, Kokyu, and a few other things. However, all of those things are mentioned in the credible Aikido books, etc. Gender parity seems to be an issue that is being artificially introduced as a concern in some branches of Aikido.

Regards,

Mike Sigman