Old 03-03-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: multiple teachers in one dojo

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
]

We weren't talking about anarchy, we were talking about democracy (I wasn't the one who brought up the word). There are plenty of viable organizational models in between anarchy and dictatorship.

Best,

Chris
I agree - my post wasn't as clearly written as it could have been. The point I was trying to make is that in any structure; one person must be in overall charge. Whether that is done democratically or otherwise is up to the person running the dojo.
Use our dojo as an example: As senior student, I do some of the teaching and given my history have some definite ideas on many subjects. Often, these ideas conflict whith my Sensei's. If that happens however; it's her word we follow, not mine - she's in charge. We can discuss it all we want, but once she makes a decision as far as I'm concerned that's it, her word is law.
IOW; the way in which "aikido is not a democracy" is that as senior, the Sensei knows best what and how to teach. If everyone wants to do A and the Sensei wants to do B, the B's have it, IMO.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.