View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #11
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Re: multiple teachers in one dojo

Christopher Li wrote:

We weren't talking about anarchy, we were talking about democracy (I wasn't the one who brought up the word). There are plenty of viable organizational models in between anarchy and dictatorship.

I agree - my post wasn't as clearly written as it could have been. The point I was trying to make is that in any structure; one person must be in overall charge. Whether that is done democratically or otherwise is up to the person running the dojo.
Use our dojo as an example: As senior student, I do some of the teaching and given my history have some definite ideas on many subjects. Often, these ideas conflict whith my Sensei's. If that happens however; it's her word we follow, not mine - she's in charge. We can discuss it all we want, but once she makes a decision as far as I'm concerned that's it, her word is law.
IOW; the way in which "aikido is not a democracy" is that as senior, the Sensei knows best what and how to teach. If everyone wants to do A and the Sensei wants to do B, the B's have it, IMO.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.