View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #28
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Breathing Exercise and Meditation

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
K. Tohei suggested sitting in seiza to do ki meditation in Book of Ki. People sit in seiza everyday and never tuck in their chin. Sitting cross-leg or sitting in a chair are other ways you can do ki meditation. The idea is to relax and sit naturally. These different ways of sitting are all subject to ki tests.
Hmmmmm. Now we're into the almost unavoidable mixing of the difference between "Ki" and "Kokyu", Ted. One thing I'm sort of interested in now is to talk to someone like Tohei or a disciple of his who is demonstrably an accurate follower of Tohei's methodology and beliefs. There's is a minor problem, as I've noted before, in calling the let's say "solidity" you feel when pushing Tohei's forearm "Ki". It's technically an offshoot of the general idea of Ki, but it's misleading to continually refer to it as "Ki". What I'm wondering is "who is off-base in this definition... the followers of Tohei or Tohei himself?". In other words, has Tohei essentially taken "Ki" and made a definition that has a shade of removal from the original concept, or if I talked to Tohei himself and I discussed the standard differences between "Ki" and this "solidity", would he say "of course!", indicating that the error is among some of his folllowers? As I've said before, these things actually have a pretty rigid logic to them and it's difficult to get away with personal interpretations once you fix into any part of the algorithm of Ki.
Quote:
When you take some formal posture, you usually introduce some tension in the body. This makes it hard to pass a ki test. During one period, K. Tohei was ki testing zen priests in Japan. I heard none of them passed. I believe their practice of taking a formal posture had much to do with this.
What you just said is a prime example of the misunderstanding of what "Ki" is, that I mentioned above, Ted. There is a real and demonstrable reason why the chin is tucked in for development of actual Ki, not the "solidity" portion of "kokyu" that you're calling "ki".

Regards,

Mike Sigman