View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Has anyone visited the Hombu Dojo?

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:

If you are going for the sole purpose of grading (and can extend your stay in Japan), you might like to try the Aikido Academy (also at Hombu Dojo) -- see <Aikido Academy> at http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Eng/index.htm -- the course allows for closer interaction between the Shihan and yourself. The normal classes are packed and less personal - i.e. it's going to take much longer if you are hoping to be recommended for dan gradings. Maybe someone who has attended the courses at the Academy can comment.
Do they even let visitors participate in gradings? I don't know - maybe if your instructor contacts them (and they know who they are).

I wouldn't waste too much time on the Academy classes - better to take a lot of the regular classes if you're going to be training several times a day.

Quote:
Soon-Kian Phang wrote:
In any case, it's a great experience...
Hombu's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. You can see a lot of teachers and senior folks in one place, which is good, but the classes are really much to large to get much personal contact with the instructors, which isn't. If you're going to be in Japan for a while I'd suggest focusing on training in a smaller dojo where you can get more intimate contact, and just visit hombu for some variety.

Best,

Chris