View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #19
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Functional Ki Skills

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
More like a sad example of why it's never a good practice to repeat negative hearsay or denigrate other teachers as a preface to expounding on what you think is the truth.

What purpose is served other than to make yourself look insecure ?

otherwise a decent article, though it's too bad he depended on the opinions of others and never even did some training at the ichikukai or tempukai.
Hmmmmm... I didn't notice anything particularly negative when I skimmed the article. All I saw was one more of thousands of articles that talk about Ki, but are vague and don't tell anyone how to do anything. Leading a simple life isn't going to develop Ki, either. You develop ki when you practice ki.

The confusing part of Ki terminology was highlighted when Auge spoke about ki and telepathy. Telepathy is indeed referred to as a Ki phonomenon in the Ki-paradigm. But we have to remember that ALL "unexplained forces" were relegated to "Ki" in the ancient times:
The energy you get from food is Ki.
The naturally-strong child has "hereditary ki".
The energy in air is Ki.
Blood sugar is Ki.
Lightning is Ki.
A horse's quivering flank is him using his ki.
Rainbows have Ki.
Prescience is from Ki.
And so on and on.

So this reliance on the old ki-paradigm (I guess it's really a meta-theory in that it's never predictive and always explicative) and oddities like denoting telepathy as Ki is somewhat aside from the body skills that are referred to as Ki. Classically, the specific group of body skills that are attributed to the certain strengths you get from breathing exercises and kokyu are:

Resistance to blows
Great strength
Marked increase in skin impenetrability
Heightened immune-system function
Attendant "magnetic field" feelings.

Those are the standard results one sees always relegated to ki phenomena, across all styles. Telepathy and the benefits of eating unsalted food are good discussion topics, but IMO they tend to just cloud the issues.

FWIW

Mike