View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #67
Meggy Gurova
Dojo: Chowa
Bulgaria
Re: Women and Everybody Else in Aikido

Quote:
Emily Dolan Gordon wrote:
It's not closed or anything. If you think it fits, go ahead.
Or, heck, tell it here. I'm looking forward to it.

MLE
Yes, it fits here as well.
Well, once at a seminar I met a woman about 50 years off age and 4 dan right now. She has been training between 20 and 30 years, and started to train when aikido was a new martial art in Sweden. I was asking her questions about how it was to train aikido at that time and she told me that when she first started, already from the beginning, there were many women interested in aikido. Her teacher had 1 dan and later on reached 2 dan. Her teacher always helped more the guys then the girls. The girls were left to train with each other in a corner and the teacher didn't bother to explain things to them, he didn't encourage them, they were left on their own. But she just loved aikido and kept on training. Her teacher stopped teaching and training some years later (I don't remember the reason why he stopped training). Then she told me that not for a long time ago she met her old teachers son and talked to him. This guy was in his twenties when she trained for his father and this young guy was giving her hard time, he was one off those who didn't want to see women in the dojo at all. So he asked her if she was still training and she said she was and he asked her if she have reached shodan and when she told him she was yondan he was like "That's a lot higher than my father!" She told me she felt wonderful by knowing that the son is going to tell that to his father!