View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 12:34 AM   #12
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Functional Ki Skills

Concerning your discussion regarding the Ki Society basic principles, I think you would be better having a face-to-face with a Ki Society instructor. My own instructor read Tohei's description of unbendable arm. Then he would go around trying it out (unsuccessfully) on everyone he knew. After he was shown how to do unbendable arm and other ki principles, he realized that you can't just read things in a book and expect to do it correctly.

If you're interested, there are listings for both Colorado and Connecticut at Ki Society USA. I don't know if these places are easy to get to for you. However I think you could see more clearly from experiencing instruction at a dojo, rather than making assumptions from what you've read.

Ki and Chi are the same Chinese characters. But K. Tohei uses his own axioms that are different than traditional Chinese or Japanese concepts. There are also differences between writers in the Chinese and Japanese tradition, as well as differences between writers in each tradition. Ki/Chi is a concept that could go back to the Stone Age, so there are many different ideas about it. To assume that everyone is writing/talking about the "same" thing is not exact.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You