View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #10
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Functional Ki Skills

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
Okay, well, if you do a thrust with a sword to someone's mid section, are you suggesting that you maintain a path to the ground from every point, including the tip of the sword? That'd be a new variation of the jo trick if you ask me...
Well, if you stand in a relaxed stance holding a jo sort of like a rifle with the butt between your upper arm and ribs and the hand on that side holding in the trigger area and your front hand on the "forestock" area, you should be able to ground a push easily into your back leg (front hand is the same side as the front leg, BTW). Feel the push with the sole of your back foot. That's called "bringing Ki to the tip of the weapon", FWIW. You can do the same thing with a sword. Extending the tip of a weapon is like telescoping out the ground path straight to your target. Guess what.... you do the same thing in fune-kogi-undo when the hands go out. Again, it's exaggeration at first, gradually leading the to point where movement of the hara is so small as to be almost unnoticeable.

The thing I described above is sort of obvious because the tip of the sword or jo is in line with the back foot. In the case of the jo trick, the push is not in line with the grounding foot, so that "connection" of the body I was talking about has to be fairly strong.

FWIW

Mike