View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Functional Ki Skills

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I was trying to describe how I can set up shihonage and let the movement of my legs be the primary uplifting force. So in katatetori shihonage omote, I basically drive in under your center (remarkably like a sword trust to maybe just under and just in front of your center come to think about it), and because of your grab you'll start to lift up. Is that keep weight underside? Or extend ki? Both? A little bit of neither?
Well think of the directions of your power while at the same time being aware of where Uke's center is (particularly in relation to his feet). You would only need "weight underside" to bring something downward, but in the interests of always being in equilibrium (a MUST!), you should always have "potential underside weight" on all the downward surfaces of the body.

When you enter into an opponent with shihonage, let's imagine that your forearm comes into contact with his forearm (this makes my description simpler because it gives me a base to imagine from). So think what direction his forearm must be move in and that is the direction of the "push" from your middle. Push it through, up, over, down with your middle pushing and pulling the hands and arms through the complete range of motion. You must always be aware of what the opponent's balance is going through at the same time. The "heavyside down" of the whole body happens at the end as you complete the throw, assuming you're just dropping him straight down to the mat.

"Extend Ki" is really the idea of being in central equilibrium with the body ready to take a push to ground from any direction of to generate a force using the middle into any direction.

It's hard to explain some of these things as they begin to involve questions like "how do you lift someones arm by 'pushing up' when his arm is at my hip level?". As you get more skilled you can "get under" things lower and lower, etc., but my point is that I'm trying to keep the descriptions simple and more at an understandable-by-all level. So if it looks like I gloss over something, someone needs to ask. Another problem I have is that I know most of this stuff, but I've never really articulated it as a "whole picture" and I tend to assume some things are obvious when they may not be. Again... someone needs to ask because things just slip by my attention.

FWIW

Mike