View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
Location: Victoria
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 132
Looking for the name of a technique

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with the name of a particular technique.

We have recently started more intensive paired practice with bokken, and I came across a situation where I was corrected and told that the technique I was performing was not correct.

The particular technique was not learnt in an Aikido context, so I understand that it may not have a relevant context.

To the technique...

From a position of uke striking at nage with shomen, nage steps/slides omote whilst blocking the strike overhead. Once nage has move sufficient distance from the shomen strike, nage strikes/slides downwards on ukes bokken, (and this is where it gets a little tricky to describe) with the intention of pushing ukes bokken downwards, then re-strikes shomen to ukes head.

I understand the purpose of pushing/sliding down on ukes bokken, but what I started off doing was to side-step omote, quickly tap/knock ukes bokken downwards then strike shomen to ukes head.

What I wanted to know is whether anyone else knows of the technique in the application I have described (that is tapping/knocking the bokken down rather than pushing the bokken downwards), and what the name of the technique is.

Any help would be appreciated.
  Reply With Quote