Old 02-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #46
E.D. Gordon
Dojo: Shobukan Maryland
United_States
Re: Women and Everybody Else in Aikido

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
Yeah. It's often not about you (or me).
This is important. Don't assume that you and your instructor have the same limitations. I have found that my assumptions of limitations are, often, strictly my own. The majority of my instructors have been ruthless egalitarians.

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
It's a tough row to hoe, but GANBATTE. There're numbers of us rooting for the likes of Mary Heiny, Patty Saotome, Pat Hendricks, Penny Bernath... More than there were 10 years ago.
How much has aikido, or any art, lost due to discrimination and "double-loading" (women/gaijin/whatever have to do twice as well as "native" aikidoka to get anywhere)?

I train in a sort of modern hybrid sogo budo (www.the-dojo.com) now, and aikido is just where I come from. I pay my debt, at this time, by asking questions and participating.

I'm going to train, but I'm going to go where I am encouraged and can train honestly. I'm not going to waste my time in political morasses. Koryu is not without politics, but I screen instructors for political addiction, and won't train with the politically ambitious. I got no use for it.

There's got to be a place for people who just want to train.
People like me, aren't going to waste their time.

This assumes that you want demanding students who will extract every last bit of your art from you if they have to use a spring trap to hang you up-side-down and shake it out of you.

mle
"there ain't no brakeman on this train" --John Mayall