View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #93
Zato Ichi
Re: Competition in Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
R. Haruo Hori, I'm not claiming that _I_ understand anything perfectly. You didn't go on to elaborate on that passage, please do if you are willing.
<sigh> I don't think I can add anything else to what Larry and Yann have already said, so I'll just do a quick recap: competition is a tool to improve your aikido. You learn what your strong and weak points are. If you approach it as a contest - your opponent a mere roadblock on your way to the gold - then you're missing the point IMHO. Your competition is yourself.

Good lord, that was the cheesiest thing I've written in a long time

At this point, I'm sure some of my fellow Thugs will call me a heretic, but I need to say it.

I hate shiai.

I think shiai is pointless and encourages players to, well, play a game. People think about how to score points, not execute proper techniques (Olympic judo, anyone?). The flow of the match is interrupted by the judges, the mind boggling rules. I'll side with the non-believers on this one. That form of competition I can do without.

Randori geiko (full resistance sparring) OTOH is an absolutely a brilliant way to learn what works for you and what doesn't. Whenever I do randori geiko and my opponent gets a good technique on me, I always come up smiling. There is a spontaneity to randori geiko that no other form of training can simulate.

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
Would someone who has had the objective to win and has been successful for several years be willing to completely drop their arm strength (and let arms fall by their weight alone) knowing that they will lose competition after competition in order to break-through to a deeper level of aikido exclusively based on blending and kokyu - and only then start winning again?
I don't know. I guess you'd have to find that person ask them.