View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 AM   #90
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Competition in Aikido

Larry and many others, your posts are excellent. I'm sure your training method produces excellent some results. I'd honestly love to understand them better.

R. Haruo Hori, I'm not claiming that _I_ understand anything perfectly. You didn't go on to elaborate on that passage, please do if you are willing.

All, my first post on this thread started with: "I agree with most of the original post, but not all of the conclusions you jumped to. If you want to compete I'm all for it." I agree that there are major ego problems with humans - and that smart people with bigger ego problems will set themselves up to be in a situation where they are as unchallenged as possible. I'm with you on that very valid point. That would certainly on the "pro" side for training with competition. But as Larry said in post 85 (and I said as a matter of fact in post 10) it is a moot point because cooperative model training people also test each other out as well. So if we agree that both extremes are bad, then it is merely a push.

I explained that I didn't know what "competition aikido" was, and so I'd explain my prejudices, AND that I'm okay with having people explain theirs to me so I can get more insight to it. What I have learned so far is that:

1) Apparently, that is a terrible term to describe what is really done. If I have a blue car and you put a small red dot on it, I would never call it a red car. If someone is saying that the overall atmosphere of "competititve aikido" is cooperation and collaboration then okay, but can't you see why someone might be confused by that?!

2) I'm told that folks from competition aikido have run into more ego problems from without compared to within their model. <rant> The point is somewhat dimished by Yann posting 3 times in a single short post that he wins every competition (post#20) , and following it up with several smug posts eluding to superior knowledge that has not been demonstrated. </rant>

2a - Do the people who lose all of the competitions feel they are being as respected as the people who win all of the time? Maybe you should ask them.

2b - Do competitors hold back help from their classmates in order to win?

2c - Would someone who has had the objective to win and has been successful for several years be willing to completely drop their arm strength (and let arms fall by their weight alone) knowing that they will lose competition after competition in order to break-through to a deeper level of aikido exclusively based on blending and kokyu - and only then start winning again? Is there another way? Who are these people from that model have broken through? Would they be willing to explain how they got there using this model.

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 02-16-2005 at 07:52 AM.