View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 PM   #87
Michael Neal
Re: Competition in Aikido

Quote:
Mindy Imbuido wrote:
I'm not trying to be facetious, so please don't think my question is
insincere. Do you consider sparring a real full out test of one's skill? Just curious, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from.
Well no, a full out test would be defending against a real attacker. However, absent that sparring is the next best thing. I certainly think it is a better test than cooperative practice.

Don't get me wrong though, I do think that semi-cooperative and kata practice as found in Aikido is useful and can develop practical skills. In fact too much randori practice without cooperative practice can be harmful to your skill development. I am just a firm believer in the importance of frequent and rigorous randori to learn how to apply techniques on fully non cooperative people.

If you can apply a technique on someone who knows your moves and how to counter them, and who is trying to throw you as well, then you can be pretty confident that the technique will work on someone outside the dojo.

In Aikido however, I never had that same level of confidence because the training methods sometimes leave doubts to the effectiveness of techniques.