View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #81
Michael Neal
Re: Competition in Aikido

Quote:
Paul Watt wrote:
Rob,

I don't know what "competition-orientated practice" is. The folks that compete just drive someplace on a Saturday, pay the appropriate fee, sign the appropriate forms and have at it. They don't train (or act) any differently from people who didn't compete, in my experience. I'd be willing to bet that anyone watching a class couldn't pick out the non-competitors from the competitors with any degree of accuracy better than chance.

At least that's how it is in bjj, and I gather from this thread, that aikido is the same. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Regards,

Paul
That has been my experience as well. However, every once in a while you will meet elite level competitiors who do have some arrogance about them. But in all honesty I met alot more arrogant people in non-competitive Aikido than Judo or BJJ.

Randori and competition tends to weed people out that have fragile egos. Non-competitive martial artists can easily fall into the trap of overestimating their skills since they are rarely tested in a full out sparring situation.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 02-15-2005 at 04:11 PM.