Old 02-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #27
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Has all the love gone?

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
(Thank you pag for directing me to this wonderful book and, of course, for your ongoing efforts to enlighten us terminal monolinguals. YOROSHIKU.)
Hello Don,

As a background to Dower, you might like to read Shunsuke Tsurumi's "An Intellectual History of Wartime Japan 1931-1945", which analyses the concept of tenkou. Another interesting book, with a preface by Dower, is Eiji Takemae's "The Alied Occupation of Japan".

More directly related to this thread is Douglas R Howland's "Translating the West: Language and Political Reason in Nineteenth-Century Japan". The book deals with the dynamcs of translation: how the Japanese invented terminology for certain key western political concepts. I think a similar dynamic operated with the translation of western religious concepts, though perhaps the process took longer and was the adaptation of western concepts to sonething previously existing, rather than the creation of something entirely new. I am hoping that David V, deals with this question in his doctoral research. It is something I cannot pursue deeply at the monent for lack of time.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury