View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 04:21 PM   #48
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Competition in Aikido

Quick question for the Shodokan folks. In the Shodokan system can you rise in rank strictly from winning in shiai?

This is something I've wondered about while watching the judo people practice. I'm pretty sure some of them rose in rank strictly due to their performance in shiai. They move up the ladder without having to learn/demonstrate the other aspects of the art, like kata, and their training often focuses on what will work at tournaments.

I think I remember you (the Shodokan folks) saying that in your system these other aspects are still required for advancement, but I wasn't sure...hence the question.

I guess what I'm getting at in my meandering sort of way is that if there is no advancement in status to be gained through shiai the chances of limiting the art to only those aspects that affect shiai would seem to be reduced.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."