View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
samurai_kenshin's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
Location: Oakland, Ca
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 209
Re: What to call a bokken?

Charles Scheid wrote:
I'm looking for the correct names for my two different types of bokken. I've several of the standard kind - curved, tapered handle one third the length of the blade - but I also have one that's neither curved nor tapered and the handle is a little bit longer. I know in my head that the two are just as strong, but the non-tapered one just feels studier and that tiny bit of extra wood near the tip really makes a difference during suburi. But I'm at a loss about two things. I need a way to refer to them other than Anduril and Glamdring. That works in my head but I wouldn't want anybody to overhear me. And I'm wondering about the history and use of the straight type of sword that the one bokken represents.
could be a bokken, bokuto, or shinai. The shinai is mostly used in kendo, though.
  Reply With Quote