View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #9
paw
Re: Competition in Aikido

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
Impressive physical fitness (read: "looks like he/she could kick your A**")
Fitness is not an appearance, it is the ability to perform an activity.

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
some of the best Aikidoka out there look like your grandmother in a Gi and hakima
Respectfully, you would have to define "best" in order to make this statement.

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
That doesn't take strength, nor even all that much stamina -- just experience, intelligence, timing, and grace under pressure.
Proponents of competition would point out that experience, intelligence, timing and grace under pressure may be forged and developed by competition....particularly grace under pressure.

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
IMHO, If you really want to see competetive "Aikido" and are only impressed by the use of physical domination to determine a pecking order -- look to Gracie-style Jujitsu and the full-contact competitions...
It has already been mentioned that Tomiki and Yoseikan have aikido competition. There's no need to go "outside" of aikido, per se.

I also take issue with the idea that everyone or even most particpants of bjj or mma competitions do so for a desire to physically dominate someone or determine a pecking order. In my experience, they do it for other reasons.

Quote:
Peter Zalinski wrote:
You might even enjoy it, for a while, until you are injured and unable to continue to compete.
You'd have to be able to prove that competition in bjj or mma is more injurious than aikido. In my personal experience, that is not true. Further, the atheticism and conditioning of competitors allows them to recover far, far faster than the average person.

Competition in bjj or mma, doesn't require a high degree of athleticism, nor is it regulated to the young. However, competitors are often encouraged to improve their athleticism because of the obvious advantages it brings.

Regards,

Paul