View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 AM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 53
What to call a bokken?

I'm looking for the correct names for my two different types of bokken. I've several of the standard kind - curved, tapered handle one third the length of the blade - but I also have one that's neither curved nor tapered and the handle is a little bit longer. I know in my head that the two are just as strong, but the non-tapered one just feels studier and that tiny bit of extra wood near the tip really makes a difference during suburi. But I'm at a loss about two things. I need a way to refer to them other than Anduril and Glamdring. That works in my head but I wouldn't want anybody to overhear me. And I'm wondering about the history and use of the straight type of sword that the one bokken represents.
  Reply With Quote