View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #46
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: I think I'm done with Aikido

I don't know that I agree with the overall tone of some of the responses here and I definitely am not in the camp that believes Aikido is the Ultimage Martial Art, but...

...well...

...the tone of the thread starter kind of bugs me too.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what bugs me, but the word pretentious was used in regard to one of his detractors. It's close to the correct word for our buddy anon. I hope he didn't intend to sound that way, but it kind of felt like he might have.

Another great point was made about it not being all about him. As a teacher I've had students leave for many reasons. Sometimes it was just personal, they didn't like me. Sometimes they felt like they weren't getting what they needed. Sometimes life was getting in the way.

It always bugs me when someone leaves, I feel like I've failed them in some way. But it's a lot easier for me when they tell me why and I can come to accept that they do have good reasons. It's easier, in fact, even if I don't agree that their reasons are good ones.

When they just stop showing up, I worry about why. What could I have done to make the art more worthwhile for them? Anything? Maybe not, but how will I know if they don't say anything to me?