View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #5
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States
Re: Bond Street Dojo Relocation

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
What's the cross street? 29th and ? Sounds like near 6th avenue?

Asim
The new location is between 7th and 8th on the south side of the street.

Last night I discovered just how easy it is to get there via the PATH train. Take either the Journal Square-33rd Street or the Hoboken-33rd Street line, leave the 33rd Street Station at the 30th Street exit. Walk one block south on Ave. of the Americas, 1.5 blocks west on 29th Street. My time was just under one hour door to door including a leg on the Newark Subway from Warren Street to Penn Station Newark, so access from Jersey City, Harrison, Newark Liberty Airport, and Hoboken should all be much, much better than was previously the case.

As the original press release said, the space is still pretty raw, with temporary dressing rooms, but the first classes on the new mat went well last night as we began to get accustomed to the new mat surface and configuration (Zebra Mats on top of a woodframe platform, with significantly different dynamics and more width than the mat-space at the old location).

It looks like work on the tokonoma should be commence this week with more permanent dressing rooms should start soon. Till the dust settles, bringing a pair of zori or flip-flops is highly recommended. Who knows? It might become a standing custom.

Don, you'll be happy to hear that the new bathroom is definitely not like that legendary room that Groucho Marx tagged as "too small to change my mind."

Best,

Fred Little