View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: Concepts for Beginners

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote:
I teach using both the 'building block' approach and the 'here's the whole technique as continuous motion' approach. When polling my students as to their preference I get roughly an even split between both. Some students are better able to 'see' the technique as an integrated whole while others need to break it down and learn it move by move.
By breaking it down, I don't mean move by move. That would be counter-productive. It is similar to reading. If you never get past reading by sounding out each letter by letterr, you never progress in your reading. What I meant was to learn to see the patterns that make up more complex patterns. For instance, everyone tends to considerr Shomenuchi Iriminage and Shomenuchi Kotegaeshi virtually the same pattern. But if you look at patterns a little more closely and broadly, you will see that Shomenuchi Nikkyo Ura and Shomenuchi Kotegaeshi are also very much the same pattern, That means that Shomenuchi Iriminage and Shomenuchi Ikkyo Ura are the same. And, as Shomenuchi Ikkyo Ura and Shomenuchi Koshinage are virtually the same pattern means that Shomenuchi Koshinage and Shomenuchi Iriminage are the same. And so on and so on.

Once you are able to see the pattern similarities between different techniques, you will be able to expand the pattern larger and larger until all techniques are the same. With no difference between Ikkyo and Kaiten nage and Jujinage and Katagatame. The problem is to see the patterns. Some people are better able to see complex patterns than others but others see each pattern as unique without looking at the pattern similarities.

I am probably making little sense. Gotta go to practice.

Later,

Rock