View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #11
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands
Re: Student ability

Quote:
Dave Humm wrote:
If I give the guy a bokken he's able to swing it with some ability (I also study Iaido and incorporate Batto-ho into aikido sessions) but, he does have problems turning at speed, that is one thing I've noticed.

We have two large roof mounted punch bags in the dojo, we sometimes do a bit of bag work and when we do this he's straight in, during these sessions he's spot on, accurate with his punching and hits quite hard.

... the chap in question is very caperble of this type of exercise and performs good ukemi however, and this really bakes my noodle; after he's done a few of those overheads with the jo, if I do even basic kote gaeshi and he's collapsing on the floor like he'd never done ukemi before!!
Dave
All of the above sounds a bit like it could still be a proprioceptive thing - he seems to perform better when there is something to focus on visually, and less well when he has to be aware of his movement and especially his lower body "from the inside" so to say. Most people have better control of their arms and upper body anyway IME, hands and arms are easier to see, plus we use them for handling things all the time. Legs are for many people just somethng to walk and sit on. Further away their awareness.

kvaak
Pauliina