View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 01:16 AM   #40
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
We have many different martial arts sessions going every day in that dojo like karate, taekwando, judo, jeet kune do and kung fu (wing chun). we always talk about martial arts and their effectiveness in real situations like street fighting
In the summer of 1997, and then from 1998 until 2003, I studied Kali under Guro Kevin Seaman at his academy in my home town of Cortland, New York. Guro Kevin has instructorships in Kali and Jun Fan/JKD from Guro Dan Inosanto. Guro had a palque on the wall with principles he wanted his students to remember. One of them has always stuck in my mind: "I will refrain from criticizing other styles and systems. They all have something to offer." Not an exact quote, but close enough. Esepcially if it's the Jun Fan/JKD guys giving you the most grief.

One of Guro Kevin's students is a Kali instructor in his own right, Guro Andy Astle. Guro Andy is also a full instructor in Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do, and he as been allowed to teach Pentjak Silat Serak by Maha Guru Victor de Thouars. When I told Guro Andy I was thinking of resuming Aikido, did he tell me, "Don't waste your time"? NO! His exact words were, "Go for it! You'll be a better martial artist." Guro Kevin also supported my decision. Thinking about how Guro Kevin and Pembantu Andy have supported my resuming Aikido makes my blood boil when I read about JKD people giving Aikido people greif.

Oh, and Guro Andy's Kali/Serak class uses the same studio as the Aikido dojo I'm now in; on Friday nights, in fact, Kali is right after Aikido. There hasn't been any verbal sparring between the two groups AFAIK. In fact, a few weeks ago, one of the Aikido guys played with Andy's kids before he left.

Shooting at dawn is too good for the people you refer to. I think hung, drawn, and quartered comes close.

And about what they say:

Quote:
..... Here are some of their quotations:
"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
Given the sweat I've worked up in Aikido class, it will probably HELP me get fit more than anything else. And my sensei is pretty lean.
Quote:
" you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
That's the common way to train in many systems; karateka should be familialr with "ippon kumite" or one-step sparring, where one partner attacks and the other practices defenses. The other night in Kail class, we practiced some replies to the jab, again "waiting" for the attack. But Aikido also "attacks," ie has nage initiate the action.
Quote:
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
I once saw a hockey game brawl on TV where two players had grabbed each other's jerseys and were whacking each other with their free hands. Aikido replies to the grab itself and to grab-and-strike combinations. Next.

Quote:
" aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
Western boxing focuses only on the hands. It's all punching, no kicks, locks or throws. Aikido is not alone in specializing. What do the TKD guys do? The JKD people are the only ones with bragging rights here. Barely. Next.

Quote:
"aikido is only good for seminars and demonstrations"
What?

Quote:
" aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today"
Nobody walks around with a stick in their right hand and a knife in their left, preapred for fights with other so-armed individuals, but Kali practitioners do espada y daga all the time.

Quote:
" aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way"
etc……
Well, it may emphasize philospohy more, but it varies from dojo to dojo. The first dojo I was in, under Sensei Jim Wallace, stopped and talked about it once in a while. The one I am in now just trains.

Quote:
I didn't lose my faith in aikido, but between u and me aren't they have right in some thoughts???
Given that the ones that weren't dead wrong could just as easily be said about other martial arts, even ones more "combative" than Aikido, I doubt it.
Quote:
Is aikido useful and effective in real situation and against other martial arts?
That's two questions.

If "real situation" means a self defense situation, there are enough people on this board to swear by it to give an opinion. Against other MA as in against the dorcs who are giving you grief, yes, but you'd have to know what you're doing.