View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 AM   #28
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Well, the best response I can give is anecdotal:
An Aikidoka, a Judoka, a Karateka, and a "general fighting arts" guy, all friends and all advanced students in their respective styles, were walking through a bad part of town after classes and got jumped by a gang of about 20 guys, many armed with sticks and knives. (This is not a joke -- I was told this by the judo guy of the story.). They survived and got the better end of the fight, and as the four friends were counting coup, afterwards, the Judo guy (who'd taken a few superficial knife wounds) complained to the others that the Aikido guy must have just stood there, because he was the only one of them who wasn't dirty, cut, bruised, or visibly wounded. The generalist said, no, the aikidoka was the one who took out the most guys, because he didn't get caught up in one-on-one conflicts -- he just went through the crowd like a scythe, turning and tossing guys into one another and into walls, telephone poles, and each other. In their post-game analysis, the Judo and Karate guys tended to focus too much on a single attacker, and were often nailed by a third party who took advantage of their focus; the "generalist" was more Hapkido-oriented, and did more specific damage to his opponent -- but he also was too one-on-one focused. Those three also had a "take a hit to make a hit" concept as part of their styles, so they all three took damage of some sort, and took it in stride. The aikidoka was the only one who was really effective in a melee, and was otherwise unscathed -- and as a result, the other three martial artists decided to take up aikido. (The judoka has been practicing Aikido exclusively for over 15 years now, so this story is fairly old -- before gangs routinely carried guns in California; I think he placed it in the mid-1980's.)

Quote:
"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
- strong enough for what? IMHO, if you rely on strength, you will be beaten by strength...

Quote:
" you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
IMHO, only as beginner -- advanced students perceive the intention to attack, and preempt the attacker -- leading his intention away from an actual attack OR into an attack one is prepared to handle.

Quote:
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
So do Jujitsu, Judo, Wingchun, Kung Fu, wrestling and many many styles of other arts -- grappling is a 'closing' attack. Have any of these guys been in a "real" fight ?

Quote:
" aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
All I can say, is you've never worked out with my sensei... ATEMI - ATEMI - ATEMI

Any competent Taekwando or Karate instructor will tell you that the jumping high kicks are suicide unless the opponent is already dazed or otherwise unaware of your attack. (There is plenty of power, but you are totally committed to that attack -- if you screw it up, you've screwed up big time.)

Low kicks to the knees and ankles are the most effective, atemi-wise (can't stand, can't fight). They also can cause the most serious damage with the least amount of force (knees and ankles have serious weak points, my friend). These are some of the reasons we don't train much using kicks -- it' too easy to cause serious damage (non-Ai-Ki). Strikes are what we use in aikido to redirect an opponent's attention and energy, not to destroy him.

Quote:
" aikido is only good for seminars and demonstrations"
Admittedly, aikidoists are the only ones I know of who can put on a demo at a moments notice, with little or no prep to "stage" the combat, and still use effective , full-speed techniques on their opponents. This is supposed to be a weakness?

Quote:
" aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today"
-- what is a machete if not a sword when it is used against persons throughout the third world?

Quote:
" aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way"
Here I would agree with them -- Ai-Ki-Do is not designed to teach you how to kill people quickly (often a goal during combat); that would make it an oxymoron. Again, I ask, is that a bad thing?

Last edited by pezalinski : 01-24-2005 at 09:27 AM.