View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 08:40 AM   #26
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
Hi every 1
1. Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
2. you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
3. many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
4. aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
5. aikido is only good for seminars and demonstrations"
6. aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today"
7. aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way"
1. true, but fitness is useful in self-defence. Good aikidoka will try to improve their fitness as well (Ueshiba was supposed to be quite strong). Age will tend to decrease physical ability.
2. false; many of the techniques derive from restrain 'attacks' or can lead from a defence (e.g. block) to an attack.
3. false; grabbing does happen in real attacks, and to a large extent grabbing is just an early stage in learning connecting with your opponent.
4. Kicks are possible, but they limit your ability to move your body (1 foot is raised so you have to hop). The whole body is used in aikido, because we move the whole body.
5. not true; aikido learns responses from sudden unpredictable attacks from anywhere, whereas other martial arts often train against set attack types or do sparring where the opponent is obvious.
6. We don't learn ken-jitsu, we learn aiki-ken. The sword work is there purely to develop the unarmed techniques.
7. Competitive martial arts are usually fight orientated i.e. one opponent, often assume there are matts and pads. Aikido is self-defence orientated i.e. producing a level of agression appropriate to the situation (e.g. a simple nikkyo or gently breaking of a grip can prevent escalation of a fight). Aikido also assumes that if you go to the floor you are lost (which is true in a multiple attack) and that there can be more than one attacker, and they could be armed with anything (and often you don't even known if they are armed).

'Fights' are different from attacks. If you want to look cool and reinforce your ego you learn to fight. If you want to resolve conflicts or survive attacks (esp. multiple or knife attacks) aikido is your best option.

I have used aikido many times, and although it is maybe not as satisfying as destroying someone with punches or kicks; it is much more effective for conflict resolution and in my experience it minimises injuries on both sides.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---