View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 03:52 AM   #23
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Dear Khaled,

I am so sorry your dojo mate / friends look down on aikido. Over at my place we don't have any problem... that is the ill reputation of aikido in general. Hmmm, I wonder if the fact that Yoshinkan style has anything to do with it? One can only guess.

Quote:
They almost made me desperate and disappointed of Aikido. Here are some of their quotations:
"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
Ask those non believer to do randori/jiyu waza with your sempai/senior brethens for 5 minutes under full attack mode, no holding back. If they are not out-of-breath, out of sync and out of focus, then I will say that they are super-fit.

Quote:
you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
Why can't we attack? If in randori/jiyu waza the uke's are not attacking, I will charge at them. The key is to get them to response in the manner where you can then perform the prescribed technique. So pre-emptive strike are quite common in my randori.

Quote:
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
Nah, there are also techniques to counter strikes. Yokomenuchi, Shomenuchi, Munetuski... etc. What aikido are you learning BTW? No strikes, only grab? There are also technique to counter beer bottle to the head, baseball bat to the side etc.

I will continue this thread further tomorrow. Alas... the evil dictator called Mr Work is calling me. <sigh>

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.